5.17.2006

Lucky and Guilty

Sorry I've been so preoccupied. This weekend, one of my very good friends wrapped her car around a pole.

I went out with two people last Friday night. It was a drunk night that began with shots of Jameson and Jaegermeister before I even got off work. I had more with a (guy) friend once I was cut, at 10pm.

My best friend, (a former sorority sister), then joined me at the bar, and she quickly caught up with shots of Patron. She was the reason I was out: I got a text from her around 9 that said she needed to blow off some steam. And "blow off steam" we most certainly did, complete with dancing on the bar.

Our banner evening ended with Kier (sp?) Royales before she dragged my drunk ass out of Science Club. Who knows where our guy friend wandered off to...

She took me back to my car, still upset with her boyfriend, and drove off in the rain.

After another pit stop at Citron, I drove home, too.

It wasn't until Saturday night that I got the news. She's OK, she's just bruised, but I feel horribly guilty.

Then last night, while waiting tables, I found out that my other friend, the guy we lost while in Science, had also gotten in an accident that night. He got in his car and ended up driving his Spidr into a road divider. Within 20-30 minutes of my girl friend's accident. He's also fine.

Though there's not a scratch on either of them, they've both totalled their cars on inanimate objects. It could have been much worse, but still.

I feel like bad luck.

I'd like to say that I'll never drive under the influence again (the way I promised never to have sex again) but I can't-- not completely, anyway. Driving wasted I'll clearly never do, but what about the gray area? I just drove home tonight after 3 drinks (and sushi) at Dragonfly...

UPDATE: MamaRoar (a lawyer) just put it all in perspective. That long Chipotle lunch line is soo useful! I've been preoccupied, clearly, because what happened to the 2 people that went out with me that night could have easily happened to me, too. Definitely a wake-up call.

And the Gray Area (aka 1-3 drinks in a night)? MamaRoar broke it down like this: If you've had more than one drink in the hour or less before you're going home, don't drive. Even if the accident wasn't your fault, if you're breathalized, you're screwed. (Did I mention she's a lawyer?) I thought it was an interesting perspective I hadn't considered, though. As was her next piece of advice: No matter what your friends think is OK at the time, you're the one could be maimed, and they can always be on to their next best friend...

But her Bottom Bottom-Line was this: If you think you'll drink at all, don't drive at all. And if you think you can't afford the cab, you're too poor to be going out anyway.

And just in case you guys thought you needed to rake me over the coals a little more (go ahead, I posted it afterall...) MamaRoar has this to say as well:
"I'm pretty disappointed that you're 23 and still doing stupid shit like this."

15 comments:

O-FACE said...

Dear gawd....please keep these people safe..amen

*With that said, are they f-ing crazy...You do not drink and drive, under no circumstances. When I roll with friends we always designate a driver...always..Whats worse is they could of killed somebody themselves..I got stories for days of people I know who died from someone else being drunk. Not cool at all...

Fascinacion said...

Iben O-face
but happy that your friends are OK.

Anonymous said...

Sorry if this sounds mean or rude, but this hits home for me b/c a ex-teammate of mine who drove drunk killed a 21 yr. girl about a month ago. Firstly, the fact that your friends got in accidents is NOT bad luck. If they would've gotten, killed...I'm sorry, but that is not bad luck. The sober mother who gets killed by drunk drivers...that is bad luck. Why can't you "completely" not drive after drinking? That makes absolutely zero sense to me, especially if you live in an area that is infested with cabs. Not trying to be a prick, but if you would ever *think* about drinking and then driving AT ALL after what happened, and what could have potentially happened to your friends....wow. Sorry, but I'm confused, Roar.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Don't be so hard on her. I don't think there's anyone who's NEVER drinked and driven. uuhh, drunked and drived. Whatever. You get the point, Pointy McPointerson!

It's one of those stupid things like riding a motorcycle without a helmet or having sex with a republican that should be kept to a minimum, but don't get all up in her bidness because she made a mistake.

Anonymous said...

Ninja,

Actually, there're quite a few of us who've never drunk and driven, or indeed, done much drinking at all. Call us the "great sober minority." :)

The best thing we can do here is be thankful people weren't hurt, and remind those involved of how precious and fragile life is, and not to waste it doing dumb shit--unless it's something like skydiving. ;)

And I am there for you on the "no sex w/Republicans" issue, man. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Roar, not to pile on, but there's no excuse for that, and it's not bad luck, it's just really irresponsible. They are lucky that they didn't kill anyone.

Anonymous said...

Like I told you before in no way you should feel guilty. We are all adults who should know that drinking and driving is never a good idea. The worst part about it is that we all live in DC so there really is no excuse for drinking and driving since there are a plethora of cabs, public transporation or ones own two feet

Marci said...

Not guilt nor luck. Maybe a wake up call?

Thinking good thoughts for you and your friends.

Anonymous said...

seconding marci, glad everyone's okay chicadee.

Anonymous said...

Your Mom is a very smart woman.

You should heed her advise.
Take it from someone who has known a couple of people who have died either because of a drunk driver or who have passed because they chose to drink and drive. Not to mentions several friends who have had DUIs.

I am sure am not telling you anything you don't already know. Drinking and driving is just not a very wise thing to do.

Jeff Simmermon said...

Not only do you drink and drive and endanger lives, you frost the cake by blogging about it.

You're not bad luck. You people are lucky. As other commenters have said, you're lucky you didn't kill other people, and you're lucky you didn't kill yourselves.

I lost a good friend to an intoxicated driver, and I'm not inclined to pull any punches here.

Furthermore, this is lame blogging material. Surf around DC blogs and you're going to read any number of posts by young, attractive women blogging about how ripped they got this weekend. I'm all for hot girls getting wrecked, but at this point, I know the story.

How does this post stand out from the rest of the boring background noise, except to make you look like a slightly bigger dumbass?

Marci said...

Dude, a "bigger dumbass", really? For writing about something she experienced and was totally honest about? You know how hard that is? I don't know how that makes someone a dumbass.

And this may be old and tired too, but if it's "background noise" to you, why are you friggin' reading it?

Anonymous said...

Yeah seriously dude, how is your post different than any other sanctimonious comment crap left by people?

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am glad that you're okay. But I will have to echo the resounding damnation all around. What's the point of living in the district, if you can't shed yourself of a car? If you can afford to spend 100+ for a night of drunken stupor, spend the 15 bucks for the cab, will ya?

Now, who's kidding who? Of course we've all given into temptation at one point or another... but as you don't take a country road home, hitting inanimate objects is the least of your worries. Anyway, think about it this way: you just saved yourself about $10,000 in legal bills, so start saving extra money aside and carry on with the self-indulgence. After all, we don't live for ever, do we?!! -Raincouver (part time DC)

Buggie said...

Great advice from your mom and how awesome it is that you two can talk and be so open.
As for Raincouvers comment about living in DC... I was in Adams Morgan. I took a cab there. I had to pay $40 to the guy who would take me home. (the ride there cost less than half of that.) And 10 cabs passed on me before I found the one that fleeced me, I mean, took me home. Also, DC should create a law that allows people to leave their cars behind when they have been drinking. Maybe a card saying, "Don't tow my car. I took a cab home because I drank too much. I will pick up the car by 9 am." Just an idea.
Roar gets the severity of the situation, so lay off of her. Geez, she would not have addressed it here with all you chuckleheads out there to judge her, if she didn't.