3.15.2006

Ides of March

I wonder if both blogger Happy Hours were planned on this fateful & ominous day on purpose. (And, hopefully, the ominousness of the day won't affect 66's DMV trip).

I know I'm no veteran to the blog scene, but this being my 3rd HH, I thought I'd openly share some of the qualms I've been sharing privately with some of my blog buddies. But perhaps this needs set-up:

I walked in about an hour and a half late to the last HH. I ran to Nic & some others I already knew. Still, I found myself standing in a gaggle of people that (mostly) I didn't know. And it fell silent. For like, a healthy 20 seconds. A silence broken only by my declaration: "Time for a drink!"

I know that even though I read many of y'all everyday, you're still basically strangers. And some awkwardness is to be expected. But please don't misinterpret my drunkenness at the last 2 HH's: it's not you, it's me. (I have a very low threshold for social awkwardness). But I really do want to know you all better.

I want to see if 66 (formerly Mr. Smile Ambassador) will be enacting his new, freaky-deaky alter-persona.
I want to know how Travis' pee wee softball season is going.
I want to know if Heather's brother is single (& I figure asking in person is less creepy).
I want to know if DCOE ever got her watch fixed.
I want to know if Kemph will show this time.
And I really want to chat with strong Momma Chase (who can lecture me about female self-esteem any day!).

I haven't broken my Lent-olution yet, so the drinks-as-social-lubrication won't be an option for me tonight. I look forward to moving past that awkwardness and having some cool conversations. See you there!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever there is an awkward silence try these;

"So, You guys like ........ stuff?"

"Do you think Bea Arthur is funny?"

"I'd like to talk you for a minute about Jesus."

Actually that last one is just guaranteed to spiral everything to a new level of awkwardness. Jim Gaffigan once said "You can tell the pope you'd like to talk to him about jesus and he'd feel awkward."

Heather B. said...

You want to know if my brother is still single? As in my 19 year old brother who is convinced that Burger King is part of the food pyramid?

O-FACE said...

What am I,
What am I
What am I

Roar Savage said...

Rich- Thank goodness it didn't come to any of those. (But the Jesus one is my favorite).

Heather- Nah. I don't date younger, forget it. But I loooved seeing and talking to you, darling.

Kemph- Ditched, again. Next month is 3rd strike, babe.

Dirk- So glad that's working out for you. Jesus must be happy with both of us.

Oface- Where were you,
Where were you,
Where were you?

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to send a shout out for our sexy salsa segue and all the good time we spent talking. It was righteous! :)

Martin
boztopia.livejournal.com