2.09.2006

Countdown to VD: Disillusioned

He still teases me about this. It was a couple of summers ago. I was still in college and was crashing in VA with DistrictSiren. I was talking on the phone to a good friend and ex who had graduated 3 years ahead of me. He and I were making plans to see each other that evening.

With our friendship in mind, wanting to keep everything on the up-and-up, I said:
"OK, I'll come out. But I'm not gonna hook up with you."
He just laughed.
"Roar. I've graduated-- I'm an adult. We (adults) don't hook up. We have casual sex."

I at once felt very naive and silly.
Once that wore off I then had a sinking thought: "Is that really all I have to look forward to?"

What has poignantly disillusioned you?
***After a trip to dictionary.com, I decided Daddy was right: the above wasn't SO poignant afterall. But I can't help my grandiose language. I score "very high" as a Histrionic... (root word, hysterical??).
What are YOU?

2 comments:

alwswrite said...

A lot of things disappointed me -- selfish men, cheap men, abusive men, spineless men, married men -- until I realized, "It's all about me, bitches." Which means I don't have to be disappointed anymore, now that I can spot disappointment at fifty paces and thus can weed out the undisappointing men and date them or marry them or have casual sex with them in a random backyard at the beach (like, uh, my friend did once) and just enjoy myself. And you can too. Why? Because it's your fabulous prerogative.

That said, I'm still let down sometimes. So maybe I'm just full of shit here. But keep your eye on the forest -- it'll remind you there are enough decent trees to keep you happily occupied until you find the, uh, wood that's right for you.

Roar Savage said...

ERock- Casual sex is different cuz it's sex. Maybe I came up in the Clinton era, but anything short of intercourse doesn't seem as big a deal. Sex, aka intercourse, seems like a bigger deal.

ADub- As always, good advice.

Daddy- I'm going to kill you the next time I see you.