2.21.2006

*Huge* Sigh of Relief

3 days ago, I thought my trip to Midas would be as pleasantly uneventful as it has been in the past. The last time a light came on the guys said it was the coolant. They checked it and filled it- no charge. Saturday, I had been seeing a different light, but I figured the boys would take care of me all the same.

Do you know how much an oil change, diagnostic, tune up, coil pack, labor and fluid flush run you?
Me neither.
I went deaf when Midas Michelle told me.

Do you know what the basic have-to cost is of a misfire, aka- what is happening when your engine light comes on?
More than it would be couth to share. And a hefty chunk of my savings.

I called Mom, panicking.
"I thought you were putting 10% of your savings away." And an unrelated, "What do you mean they wanna see your passport at the DMV?"
I went deaf again.
Primo Panic Mode. Meltdown in Roar's cube. Yes, there were tears.

Then I called Grampa.

My Grandfather owns the oldest family-run FORD dealership in the state of Oklahoma. He was already looking at the file on my car when I called.

This is not the first time Grampa has helped in a pinch. Two months ago, after seeing Pride and Prejudice by myself at the E Street Cinema on a Sunday night, my car wouldn't start. It was cold, I was alone, but I figured I could handle it myself.
Thought bubble: 'I'm Roar! I'm a strong woman! I come from a car family!'
I called Triple A. Then, while waiting for my tow truck, I called my Stepdad's auto parts store and talked to one of the NAPA guys. "Sometimes cars just die in winter," he told me.

Third time's a charm. "It's yer bump button!"
Can you hear an Oklahoma accent in your head? It's mostly twang, very little Southern drawl. We're not that dainty. I'll do an impression for anyone who needs clarification at the HH tomorrow.
Grandpa had me crawling around the passenger side of my car to find the button below the glove box that would deactivate something that was set off when another car tapped mine, trying to get out of their parking space. No damage, but my smart FORD turned off anyway. I called Triple A and canceled the service. Grandpa had fixed it from 1500 miles away.

And he did it again today. After a short phone call, Grandpa instructed his Service man to call Midas' Service woman. Thank G-d for Grandpa! Now I can breathe again.

I may still have to pay a huge chunk of change, but at least this time I called the right person first (er, second).

9 comments:

I-66 said...

something less huge though, yesno?

Roar Savage said...

Just got off the phone with him. Yes, they instructed them not to bother with some stuff, so it'll be a little less. Yea!

Nicole said...

First time around it was third time's a charm, the second time around it was plan B, and so maybe next time (knock on wood) you'll get it on the first try?

And tears, awwww; although I would have done the same. And I too would have placed calls elsewhere, in the order of 1) the ex, who used to work in his uncle's auto shop during the summers, and then 2) my dad, and so on...

Let me know if you need more cheering up!

Hammer said...

Places like Midas are designed around a business model that pushes sales of unnecessary parts, labor and services. Hell, many of the mufflers they sell are of inferior quality in the first place. A good friend I've known since high school recently worked the service counter at Merchants for a while, and the stories he told blew my mind.

The best bet is to find a reputable, locally-owned garage somewhere in the city or burbs and go to them for everything except for maybe oil and filter.

Still, it sounds like a service manager meeting-of-the minds took place and that you're in good shape. Hopefully the damage won't be too bad.

P.S. - Your Grampa is THE MAN.

Marci said...

Gramps rules!

My Dad is like that too, I call him for all car-related, tool and household related issues.

Heather B. said...

shit is expensiiiiiive.
I got my oil changed and felt like a large hole developed in my wallet and all of my money was coming out. I'm trying to think which is more serious. The lack of money or the lack of a perfectly running vehicle?

Roar Savage said...

I know!
I've realized the past few days how much I missed the human connection that is metro/public transportation. Is my oil barron coche worth it?

Roar Savage said...

500 for an inspection is CRAZY. Where did you take it??

Lucy said...

My dad's the same way as your grampa. He owned a garage for about 15 years, and MAN does he know cars! <3 men who can fix things. ;)