1.04.2006

Bad advice?

So... I think I just councilled a guy friend of mine not to 'fess up about cheating.

Now, let's be clear: This guy is more of a long-time acquaintance than a friend I see regularly. The only reason we were talking about the incident was because I witnessed it. New Year's, at my bar, he was inhaling the girl that he had said he was bringing only because his girlfriend had to work that night, too. Why not hang bar-side with her? "I like to flirt too much for that." He brought one of his girl friends to my bar, instead.

The funny thing is, this guy was blaming everyone but himself for said cheating. Me, for hooking him up with a free bottle of champagne that he drank himself (I guess the chick didn't like champagne). Her, because... actually, he never said why he blamed her. He did say, though, that she's rung twice and he won't answer her calls.

Just to thicken the plot, he went on to pontificate about how *not* attractive she was. He couldn't believe, drunk or not, that he would make a move on such a girl. "She's so fat!" "She's so busted!" I couldn't help but wonder: One, why isn't he remorseful because he cheated on the girl he cares about? And, two, are my tastes slipping?

I'm sexually pretty hetero. But my shallowness can sometimes reach epic proportions. (Not an attractive quality, I know). I can say the CATTIEST things about other women- especially when out on the town with my best gay friend of 4 years, or talking with my favorite bouncer at the door- and even though I would not have callled this woman "Model-Hot," I wouldn't have called her "busted" or "ugly." In fact, she had that cool/hardcore/edgy/woman-of-the-world look going on that I tend to put down because I admire it so. Besides, on New Year's she was on the arm of a (let's admit, very shallow) stud. I figured her confidence was somehow founded.

**Just goes to prove: A lot of women, myself included, rate themselves (at least partially) based on men's approval of them.**

But, back to my advice:
Though I would never want to be cheated on (again), I gotta say, the advice I gave was tailored to the audience. If the man could so callously suck face all night (& then who-knows-what later-- he only vaguely remembered his bar-side make-out session) and have no inward blame, shame, or remorse, how could he formulate a real admition/apology?

Forget it, I say. No need to hurt the girlfriend. And, anyway, shouldn't she know by now that she has a cad? There's always the outside possibility that she was sucking face at her own bar that night too....

3 comments:

A Unique Alias said...

People get drunk and make mistakes, like kissing. He probably should keep quiet if that's all that happened.

But if he banged the girl, he probably needs to let his lady know what she has to look forward to for the rest of their relationship.

Roar Savage said...

COMPLETELY agree.

Screwing is something different entirely. Let your lady know so she can get tested in 3 months!

DC Cookie said...

Sounds like this guy has some security issues.