1.30.2006

Cock Fight

It was supposed to be the best night ever. Painstaking thought had gone into the evening's plans. It was, after all, the all-important SALSA NIGHT.

I had invited a sundry cast of characters that fit into one of three categories: girls I know and like that know how or wanted to learn how to salsa, and guys that are good salsa dancers (and I know somewhat) *or* guy friends who wanted to hang despite their lack of salsa skill. I erroneously thought that this would be a "safe" bet. I was wrong.

The dancing at Habanna Village was great. The venue was everything that was promised: All Salsa, All-The-Time!-- but it didn't matter. Though I had the same number of guys and girls assembled, there was trouble from the get-go. Because I had done the orchestrating, I was the defacto hostess. I had to have at least one conversation and dance with each guy, preferably as they showed up, so that I could get back to the activity at hand: SALSA.

But then the guys started sulking. One bad salsa dancer wanted two dances (and you know how I feel about bad salsa dancing). Hadn't I wasted one precious song on his ass already?? His friend was playing a very active wingman. M, one of the better salsa dancers, didn't realize his was a working (and not amorous) invitation. "Un beso, por favor? Verdad, solo un poquito beso? Por favor, bailarina..." Ugh! Dance, hombre. Dance. He even acted jealous when I danced with his friend: "I don't even know if you're interested." *???* I'm not.

Interestingly enough, few of the guys talked with each other and some didn't even talk with the other girls that were there. You're in a group, man! Act like it!

Mad props to the guy who handled himself the best: A work friend of mine said he'd drop by since we'd both be in Adams Morgan. And he did just that. Midway into the night he showed up with a friend, talked for a minute, we danced one song, he finished his beer, and then left. He even laughed to me, before leaving, at the obvious tension in our corner of the room. Thank you, Kevin. Thank you.

At the end of the night, K got sick, cuz that's just what friends do. They pretend to be sick for each other. I had had enough of the weirdness of the night, and she had too.

The moral(s) of the story:

--For some reason, when including a guy in a group invitation, saying "A bunch of friends and I are going to X on Y date, you can come along if you'd like," is somewhat misleading in some language. Be blunt. "My friends want to Salsa. If you distract me from this, I will be pissed."

--There is no reason to bring men to Habanna Village. They are everywhere.

--It is hard to scratch your Salsa itch in Habanna Village. Unlike other places that will throw in some Meregue or Reggaeton (eew!) for good measure, there is no way to ever be "finished" with the salsa at HV. I still have a salsa itch.

Look for me at Habanna Village sometime soon. I will be at the table of las gringas. There will not be any guys there. Except maybe Carlos, my Salsa King, who is used to harems of women. (Typically, I categorically refuse to be in any kind of harem, but Carlos' salsa prowess makes him the exception to my highly-held rule).

10 comments:

Nicole said...

""I don't even know if you're interested." *???* I'm not." Lol. I'll make a uninformed generalization and say that guys who are not good dancers and go out not because they want to dance but to pick up women, do not realize that dancing with someone does not equate to swapping numbers or bodily fluids with someone. I think that in general, going out to dance, whether salsa or hip-hop, etc. it's better to stick to an all-girls group.

Sat night, my coworkers and I went to Iguana in Baltimore, but made the poor decision to invite guys we know, work with, customers to meet us there, which also required us to entertain them equally. The not talking to each other thing, etc. that was my night too. All I really wanted to do was shake my ass, and if I must be accompanied, with at least someone decent.

Roar Savage said...

Nicole, if it wasn't already clear that we are, in fact, kindred spirits, this certainly sealed the deal. Can't wait to shake it with ya, honey!

Marci said...

I agree with you Nic, but usually I'd have to say that salsa-ers rise above this phenomenon. Salsa-ers are generally quite serious about their salsaing and just want to get a good one off with someone (heh, that sounds dirty). Pehaps it was the influx of the non-salsa variety that spoiled the evening?

Roar Savage said...

You're back!

I-66 said...

so what you're saying is that it's a good thing I didn't come?

Roar Savage said...

Aw, 66, not at all. I wanted you there. What happened? I still owe you a shot (or two...)

roosh said...

i like reggaeton :/

Roar Savage said...

Kemp-- When will your site be back up?

Daddy-- I have 2 arguments: 1- HV is not a club, it is a cultural experience. 2- You and I have been out on numerous occasions, and it never felt like Friday.

DCB-- No accounting for taste. : P

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Hehhee...I'm playing on going to HV tomorrow. I haven't been there since I moved to Columbia Heights. Do they still have live music on thursdays? And good mojitos?

Roar Savage said...

kemp- until your site (the one I linked on mine) allows to post without an email address, I won't be posting. What's with that? You know how to find me...

ninja- I'm not sure about Thursdays. Friday was the first time I'd ever been there, but the mojitos were awesome, and the 3rd floor is all about the live band. We stayed there the whole time, natch.