1.24.2006

Would you rather... 2

You're dead. You're face-to-face with St. Peter, and there's a wait for some reason. (I know, Murphy's Law, right?) The good Saint mentions that the Pearly Gate-o-Plex now has a new special feature for just such instances of inconvenient death. (The zen-like "But where else do you have to be?" argument didn't go over very well with the pushy, dead New Yorkers). St. Peter offers to let you review one of the larger decisions of your life while you wait and to explore the kind of what ifs that accompany large decisions.

You pick your marriage. Or, rather, you choose to review your choice of spouse because there was, way back when, a runner-up. You only pick this decision because, well, you're a reaslist: they haven't mentioned anything about being able to change anything-- they're just offering insight into your newly-ended life-- and why sit at the Pearly Gate-O-Plex with a Puss on your face? Perhaps you stayed at that job too long or you had one too many kids, but youre at least sure of one decision: you loved your marriage. You always felt challenged and fulfilled in every healthy way.

And what had happened to the door #2 person? You'd heard they'd gone bankrupt and ended up moving back in with their parents (last you heard). Besides, the reason you passed this person up was because you never felt truly loved by them. Not that it was their fault. You know they cared, but not in a way you ever understood or could appreciate. Not like the spouse-of-the-year-every-year person you actually married.

So Saint Peter hands you a 12.2 megapixel cloud with 'Your Marriage' scrawled in gold leaf over the top, and you go sit down on one of the clumps of condensation that are the waiting room at the PG-o-P. What becomes obvious though, as you sit there, is that this "easy decision" you chose to review was actually not as simple as you had thought at the time. The person you married never felt as fulfilled and challenged as you did. They understood you, and therefore did what they knew you needed, but only to keep you around. Every time you euphoricallly closed your eyes after a smooch, they were rolling their eyes. You're still not sure if they were unfaithful- you had to put the 12.2 mpxl cloud down before you got to that part.

And as for the "runner up," they loved you more within the first few weeks than your spouse ever even came close to. They ended up with someone they cherished and respected- cuz that's just the kind of person they are- but not until their mid-40's, and only once they had completely gotten over the possibility of ever being with you.

Totally dejected, with the puss on your face that you'd tried to avoid at the otherwise happy Pearly Gate-o-Plex (ok, maybe not happy, but there's a very palpable sense of relief), you take the 12.2 mpxl cloud back to St. Peter.
"Thanks, but I'd rather just wait," you tell him.
"Actually," St. Peter raises his hand, "Now that you've seen all sides of your decision, would you like to go down there and try it again?"

Do you take St. Peter up on his offer to give it a go with the person that loved you more from the start? Or do you just sit back down and continue to wait? Which would you rather: a love that totally fulfills you, or a true love that you don't understand?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question. Hmmmmm....
I'll have to get back to you on this one.

Nicole said...

Hmmm, a love that truly fulfills me...no, wait, is that selfish? maybe a true love I don't understand...no, but then what's the point in that. I don't know you're making my head spin, darlin'. How bout you answer first? :-p

Roar Savage said...

Fair enough. This has been one of those imaginary hypotheticals that I've tossed around in my head in the past few years. It helps me get past those jerks that say they care, but in reality...

I tend to go with the love that fulfills, only because, in the end, waiting around for that guy you like to get it together can hurt like hell, and life is just too short for that.

Not to mention, the problem with this hypothetical (though it's mine, lol) is twofold: wouldn't you have SOME inkling if this person didn't feel the same? Also: what "truly fulfilled" this person? If it was expensive gifts or something equally as shallow, maybe being duped was inevitable/their own fault for not valuing/not being fulfilled by what's real. Not only to keep the duds away, this scenario reminds me to keep re-evaluating what I value in life, kind of like a spiritual feng shui.

Nicole said...

I think it's difficult to analyze this hypothetical without reflecting on the exs and which mold they fit into...and since I'm still in this seemingly interminable getting-over-him process, it's even more difficult.

I too am perplexed, the marriage fulfills you, but the not vice versa - I'd have to agree, that wouldn't you get that vibe from the other person? Despite my delirious happiness, I think I'd still be able to sense that he wasn't feeling the same.

Ultimately, I'm still young, I believe that everyone can find both a true love and a love/marriage that fulfills in 1 person.

El Guapo in DC said...

I'd wait. Is that wrong? Every time mi corazon has been broken has molded me just as much as when it smiles. At the end of the day, I want to tell St. Pedro that I gave it my all. Nunca do I want to say, "What if." Just a thought. This was a great question.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

PS: I too am always in the getting over her stage. I hear it goes away.

Roar Savage said...

Gracias Guapo... by the way.... Tu tiene venir con nosotros cuando vamos a bailar salsa... since you say you are very good. Where do you usually dance?

Roar Savage said...

...I'm sure my Spanish is completely broken, but I tried... lol.

Anonymous said...

Did you write this yourself?

It's really good, actually. Like something you'd expect to see published somewhere.